Saturday, December 13, 2008

Apple Study in Watercolor Number Three

The table now has the first glaze of color. I will add more details later. As I move around the painting I have decided to add a very wet wash of Aureolin Yellow and Sap green to the leaves on the plant at the top of the painting. Again, for my underpainting I have used a wet-in-wet wash. The blending of colors gives a lime-green look to the leaves. I dropped in the Sap Green in areas where I wanted to create the soft illusion of shadows. Later I will add more detail to this, but for now I am happy with the wash.
The painting is beginning to lose it's "flat" look. When painting realism, it's important to use the lights and shadows as a guide for how and where to apply the paint. I start out rather loose, then add details onto that foundation of color and value.
Check back soon for another update on this painting!
For more images of my work, please visit my website: http://watercolorworksart.com

No comments: