Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Red Geranium Painting Installment No. Three

I have added a very wet, Sap Green wash to the leaf area. As I come close to the red bud at the bottom, I allowed the green to come over the red a very tiny bit to create a shadow where the green leaves surround the petal. I added small touches of Hooker's Green in some of the shadow areas to intensify the value. I allowed some water to spill into the bottom of the large clump of leaves in the center. I think the underpainting, when glazing like this, should have some variations in value and tone to add subtle depth and interest to the subsequent glazes.
Keeping the glazes light and transparent gives me the control I like, and prevents me from getting too dark or opaque with the colors too quickly.
I still have room in my Friday morning Beginner's Watercolor Class. If you would like to know more about my classes and workshops, please click here to visit my website.

No comments: